Cooking Blahs

I'm tired of everything that's in my cupboard. When I go to the store, I mindlessly browse the aisles and put the same things in my cart -- every time. I'm in a rut. Some days when it comes time to decide what's for supper, my mind just goes blank. I love to cook, and my kitchen is very organized. It just seems the same things scroll through the empty brain and I cook on auto-pilot. This has got to stop. My husband chuckles at me because I love to browse through cooking magazines, and cookbooks. Why don't you make that, he says. Or this looks really good, handing me some tearout from a magazine. Bless his heart, he's such a good husband. He will eat whatever I set in front of him. I'll admit this week has been a little better. On Monday I made Shepherd's Pie and it was delish. Yesterday I whipped up my own concoction of a creamy Spaghetti & Ham cheesy, yummy dish. We ate that Rachael Ray pan clean. I love my Rachael Ray pans. After our house fire several years ago, (Go here to read about that) (and also here), I was browsing Elder-Beerman (!) with some coupons hot in my hands. I found the Rachael Ray set of stainless steel with orange handles. It was $199.99. For me, I would normally have a hard time spending that kind of money. But with insurance money burning a hole in my checkbook, I started looking those pans over, drooling all the way. They were on sale for 179.99, I had a 20% off coupon, and to top it off, they were offering a $20 mail-in rebate. Needless to say those puppies went home with me that day, and I have loved them with a passion. Many lovely soups, stovetop dinners, and scrambled eggs have been made in them. I cook my chicken enchilada sauce in them, and bubble the chicken until it's nice and tender. Maybe I cook more than I think. I guess it's just the tedium of looking for recipes. I think I'll just wing it from now on. I'll take whatever is in my pantry and throw it together. Sometimes, the most delicious things come from that. Now, if I had only gotten the Rachael Ray knife set....

I guess remembering the fire makes me glad to even have a kitchen to cook in. I needed that reminder. :) Hmm...what shall I make today?

Comments

Unknown said…
It sounds like you got a great deal on the pots, I don't think I could have passed them up then either. Don't feel bad - I'm in a cooking rut too.
Stopping by from SITS to say hi!
Leslie Harris said…
Missy, I am really jealous! Look at those gorgeous pots!

You know, you could start posting recipes on here! :D
Tina said…
I have no passion to cook at all. wish I did, but do love me some shiny cute pots and pans. funny
Blessings
T
Missy said…
Thanks for stopping by Michaela -- someday we'll get out of that rut. ;)

Leslie, I'll have to post a quick recipe sometime. I'd much rather go to your site and make your yummy recipes!

and Tina...lol. You may not be inspired to cook but, but your inspirational in every other way! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts