.

.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

FIRE.....

Well, things are not so great here.....but they could be worse! On Thursday, Aug. 24, I was driving home from work around 10:45 am and noticed smoke coming off my roof. It was so hot that day that I thought it might be steam, so I kept on going. (I was heading for Wal-Mart) I only got a mile down the road before it really started to bug me, and I turned around. When I got to the house, I went in the side door to check things out, and saw that the house was filled with smoke. I only got about three steps inside before I saw cinders falling from the bathroom ceiling. I went back out and called 9-1-1. The fire department got there in 5-10 min. and had to break the door down to get in. They found Hunter's bedroom fully engulfed in flames, with smoke so thick they had to wear their heaviest equipment. And this was on one of those 100 degree days. I was just standing there in shock waiting for the flames to bust through the roof and take my whole house with it. That didn't happen though, they managed to knock down the fire before it took the whole house. My whole family came out and stood there with me. George was working up in Akron, and had to drive the whole way back down, he said he was shaking the whole way. After all was said and done, they said it was the ceiling light fixture in the bathroom that shorted out, and smoldered in the floorboards. Hunter's whole room is gone, and the girls room is heavily smoke and heat damaged. The downstairs is is water damaged, and smoke damaged throughout. The adjustors can't come until Monday because of all the flooding here in Ohio. So it has to sit there in the heat. The smell is almost unbearable. All the wetness and charred smell. Yuck. I just thank God that no one was at home. The most important things weren't in the house---my family.

For now, we're in motel. It could take up to 5 months or so until everything is finished. Talk about feeling misplaced. The insurance is paying for all that, though, so it's all good. I'm so thankful for all the people that have helped us so far. It's been an overwhelming process.

I'll try to post some pics later that we took at the house.

1 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, my prayers are with you and I'm so grateful to God that no one was home and hurt.