time to act

Well, it's time to act. I'm sick of my body and want to change it. I had a doctor appointment on monday that ticked me off. It wasn't anything major, but I realized it's time to change something. I turn 40 this year and it would be awesome to be fit and trim going into a new decade. Imagine that....Missy---fit and trim! hahahahaha.....LOL Now that I've laughed at myself it's time to get busy. I kind of started on Monday after my appt., just stopped eating all the extra stuff I've been eating. It's amazing what goes into one's mouth.....

I'm going to copy and paste the article I wrote for our church newsletter. It tells how I'm feeling:

**********************************************************************************
The new year is here. It slowly creeps up on us like a shadow in the night.....a shadow that appears out of nowhere. It causes us to stop and reflect on what we've done the past year, or what we haven't done. It makes us clean out our closets, and once again try to get rid of that roll of pudge that's somehow accumulated around our waists again. We all want a fresh start, and the new year seems to get us motivated once again.....for about a week. Why is this? If any of you are like me, those resolutions we make firmly in our minds and vow that this time...we will stick to them, always seem to fade away within a week's time. Self control---this is something I seem to have been born without. I've always struggled with self-control from the moment I stumbled out of my mother's womb. There's a picture of me standing by the kitchen table when I'm about five years old holding a Reese Cup with a big bite out of it. I'm looking at the camera like, "What? Get away from my chocolate!" Story of my life. Alas, my love affair with Reese Cups has never gotten old and sadly no love has been lost. Needless to say, there's been a fair amount of stress in our lives since last August. That's no excuse, though, for letting oneself go. Those chocolates don't get in my grocery cart by themselves. And now my kids have found their own love affair with Reese Cups. It's time to grow up and let go of childish things, or rather habits I picked up as a child. The question I'm asking myself is can I let go of the Rocky Road ice cream too?

I walked out of the Doctor's office on Monday with a fresh perspective on life. Granted, it was only a routine check-up, but one that opened my eyes. I can hide out for six months, go to the doctor, hide out another six months, and go again. Or I can take control of myself, my eating, and my body. God's word says that your body is a temple. How many times have I groaned as I read that scripture? Or the one that says don't worry yourself about what you will eat or drink.....there's too many to name. Every one of those verses is underlined in my Bible, but I've never once took them to heart. Why? Because simply put I didn't want to. I'm ready to give up all the misconceptions I've had about losing weight and just do it. I want to feel healthy---fit---and alive. I've realized that all the time I spent talking about losing weight, that if I would've been trying, I would've lost it all by now. Instead I'm still here talking about it. My sister Rhonda has started, my friend Tina (in Charleston, WV) too. I've talked to Shelly about it, and my niece Heather. Even Hunter has given up chocolate for the year (he's gone 9 days already!), so how can I do any less? We're all sick of "being sick" of it. It's time for action! It's time to lay it all out and just act. I turn 40 in October, so we'll see how far ten months will take me.......anybody want to join? Missy Herrera
**********************************************************************************

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Time to act---new house, new attitude, new body? We'll see what happens!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Do it! Do it! Do it!

You all should do a Biggest Loser challenge like we are here. Get all the family, friends people from church in on it and start your own contest. It's great incentive when it's a group people.

God knows we have childhood habits to break.....they will never completely go away, but you CAN conquer them and get them under control! I'm behind you all the way!!!

40 & fit....it WILL happen!!!
Tina said…
You have my support. I weigh in on Wednesday mornings and I'm planning to post every week about it. I want to know how you are doing!
Tina said…
tinathinplease is my name on fitness pal.
Anonymous said…
hey i just commented to your comment on my blog....make sure u read it!

my name on fitness pal is just rhondalowe....i'm trying to add friends but i can't find an option....i'll keep searching for you & tina someway!

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts