FRIDAY NIGHT LAZINESS

Tonight I am plain lazy......
I want to type more than this....
but my recliner is calling me.....
sorry Rhonda.....I will be prolific
in my next blog.....

In my mind, Friday is the best night to be lazy. By my chair I have a stack of magazines as yet unread....I have a half-finished book that's whispering my name also. I may just sit there and stare into space. I guess I have too many things on my mind.

Friday nights may never be the same, though, for me. When Belle was little, we would make brownies and watch movies. Then she would go to bed, and I would watch the X-Files, then watch more movies late into the night. Now, my little baby is 16 and down in Dover with her friends at the mall! I want to go back to those days. I still have Selena and Hunter here with me (and of course George).....but I feel like it's the beginning of the end. Now I have to stay up and wait for her to come home, and worry a little bit in between. You begin to feel like the old mama at home nagging her kids...it goes something like this. ring ring ring..
Hello?
Hey Belle, what's going on?
Not much, we're just driving around.
Is that all you're gonna do?
No, we might hang out somewhere else.
Well, just be careful....I don't want..(cutoff)
MOM!!! I'LL BE FINE--DON'T WORRY!
I know, I just have to remind you..have fun, OK?
I will mom, don't worry...gotta go...BYE!
Bye.....(silent sigh)

Now I'm not really one of those moms that worry, worry, worry.....but there's something about it when your kids actually drive away and go do things on their own. There's a feeling in the pit of your gut, that yes, it's time to place them in God's hands as they become a speck down the road of life.

I just pray this night, Lord, that you keep my children safe, and me sane, as they grow up and grow away...(just a little!) Help me to let go when the time is right, and to give them the space they need to grow....but also help me to be firm when I have to be, and not the softie I can be sometimes! Help me also to remember my times driving around in Dover or wherever else.....we thought we owned the world. Help me to give her the freedom she needs, with just enough fence around to protect her.....

Life is good............even when you nod off waiting for that footfall on the porch letting you know they've made it home safely...:)

My recliner calls........

good night...
maybe I'll go make some brownies for old times sake...and eat them with her at midnight.........

Missy


Comments

Anonymous said…
why am i crying?!!? thanks a lot!
Tammy Lynn said…
me too, Rhonda! I just got done sitting on the couch looking at my little girl all dressed in pink watching "Nemo" for the 38th consecutive day and watching my smiling baby boy in blue grinning at his sister. And I thought, life doesn't get better than this. Can I please stop the clock? thanks for sharing your "mom thougths", Missy!

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts