The smell of summer

Oh, Memorial Day/first day of summer for my kids!  I love this day.  It hearkens me back to my marching band days when we'd be up at the crack of dawn to get ready for three separate parades.  Walnut Creek, Winesburg, and Berlin.  The sun would be blazing and we would be marching down the street in our hot and sticky uniforms.  My kids march now, but they get to wear shorts and red polos - much better choice.  After marching, I would walk the back alley from the graveyard to my house and summer would officially start.  I always felt like that last day of marching was unbearable til I could get home.  Nothing was sweeter than walking in the house and knowing the whole summer stretched before you.  Long, languid days of reading, walking in the woods, or driving around with friends.  This day, more than any other, reminds me of those long ago days.  


I know it's a day of remembrance.  I respect and honor those who have fought for our freedoms.  I don't have anyone close to me that was in the military at all, so it's not as dear to my heart.  The cookouts and bbq's and the memories of summer are what I think of when Memorial Day rolls around.  I remember the heat of the day and the smell of summer in the air.  


It's a good memory.


I'm a bit wistful today, but so glad that I have the day off.  I've cleaned the house, written my column and sent it off, and now I'm trying desperately to finish my blog for The Bargain Hunter.  I'm not succeeding very well, so I thought I would update this blog.  I'm very distracted today because all I want to do is sit on the front porch and read.  Why shouldn't I be doing this?  I don't know.  If I can't get the blog done, I'm headed out.  No use sitting inside when I can go out and smell the summer air come in.  Maybe I'll get a bit more reminiscing in out there...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts