on scary movies & tossing your cookies

Oh mylanta, it's almost the middle of October.  Honestly the days zip along and don't really give a rip whether they fly by or not. When October hits, my scary bone starts acting up.  I don't know where I got my love of all things creepy, but I can't remember a time when I didn't have it.  I would pick a horror movie any day over a sappy romance.  I've also paid the price for it.  When the movie "The Blair Witch" project started being advertised (it has to be over ten years ago now) I just had to see it.  George knows better than to argue with me about it, so off we went for a nice dinner and movie.  There we were all settled in with popcorn, a drink, and candy.  I like to get to the theater early (yes, I'm one of those) so we were sitting right in the middle about 3/4 of the way up.  The movie starts.  I realize that the camera is really jerking around, and I'm kinda getting a headache.  This was back when the whole "shaky-camera) thing was new.  The movie is really good but I'm having to look up at the ceiling, or simply close my eyes because of the headache.  It slowly dawns on me what is happening -- I have motion sickness! All that jerky camera action has made me feel like I'm on a boat or the tilt-a-whirl with no way out.

George keeps asking me if I'm ok, and I just nod my head. 

Suddenly,  I knew that if I didn't get out of that theater I wasn't going to make it.  The movie was getting to the good part and all at once I hurl myself out of my seat and into the aisle. You know how dark those theaters are, especially the nice stadium seating ones.  I run down the steps and careen into the bathroom and into a stall. 

And  yes, I did make it -- just in time to toss more cookies than I've ever tossed.  

I finally regained some semblance of order and made my way back into the darkened theater. As I plop in my seat, the movie ends. Sadness.  Those darn movie makers -- don't they know some of us ladies have sensitive issues? 

Sadly, I didn't learn my lesson.  Saving Private Ryan, Cloverfield, and Paranormal Activity have all been graced by my presence.  There's just something about that chill running up your spine...I just can't stay away!

Comments

Leslie Harris said…
I used to love watching "scary" movies when I was a teenager. But once I became a mother, I couldn't bear to watch them. I can't explain it. My eldest is starting to like "scary" movies and will ask me to watch one with her, but I can't do it. I don't feel physically sick, but I get a real unsettling feeling in my heart and stomach.
Tina said…
Oh mylanta indeed! Once I finally saw it on dvd, I just knew I'd never have made it without a similar experience if I'd been in a theater.
So funny,
T
Missy said…
My sister Rhonda is the same way Leslie -- she loved them as a teen then just lost interest. Alas, my love for them never died. On my birthday Monday George and I saw a movie -- and what kinds was it? A scary one called Case 39. I loved it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts