swiss coffee & truffles

Things can really surprise you. You can be floating along on your little stream of life and then boom! I'm pretty happy with my insular life. We don't have a ton of friends that we have over all the time....and I've always been ok with that. I'm not the type that hangs on the phone and feels like I have to call someone incessantly with the latest news. George and I like to hang out and watch movies together or if I'm alone during the day after all my work is done I like to have a cup of coffee and read a book. Overall I like being alone---I'm very independent. That's why yesterday was so pleasant. I went along with George to do an estimate for our friends Pius and Manuela Felder. Their daughter Delia is in Belle's class. We've always been friendly with them and talk at soccer games. Well we went over there and ended up staying for three hours and fifteen minutes! We looked over what she wanted painted and stuccoed but then we sat down for coffee (swiss coffee....they are from Switzerland) and the time just flew! We talked of hospitality in different countries...how we're just too busy here in the U.S. ..... how people never just pop in for a visit. She was so glad we took the time to have coffee! Then her husband Pius came home and not long after we had a shot of Grappa...that's one for you to look up. It was strong and sweet and so interesting. I had read about it in a book about a man and his wife who took a year and lived in France. It was definitely dark and mysterious. Talk turned to cooking and all of their beautiful fresh veggies. She could be a gourmet cook.....and talked of truffles (the super expensive kind...like a mushroom) home-made pasta and all the heavy sauces we drown our pasta in. I was so fascinated. And we laughed and laughed and it felt so good. When we left we felt like we had made some really good friends. We left with the promise of cooking for each other at a sit down dinner. Maybe we haven't made good friends here because when you come from another country...it all seems different. People want to make you think that it's so much better here----we are only kidding ourselves. We're a very insular community and think about ourselves too much. There are people here that we could learn so much from if we decided to look. When I met George I definitely looked around and saw what was wrong.....and it made me sad. I want to change that. I'm so glad I took time out of my day to visit with someone else---I may have made good friend because of it.

Comments

Tina said…
That sounds like a nice visit and the perspective is so good that came from it.
thanks for sharing it.
Hope you are well.
T
Tammy Lynn said…
reading your blog often feels like I'm reading my own thoughts! We think alot alike. We must be related or something!

Popular posts from this blog

Grace in the madness of mothering

We are Ghosts